Monday, 12 March 2012

A Bad Day

I was going to get all sorts of things done today but fate intervened. First the flush handle broke off the toilet, an easy fix but entails an extra trip to B&Q. Then problems with the Khador I've been painting up for tonights game.
I finished off the bases and took the models into the garage to give them a spray of matt varnish. That's when disaster struck! For some reason the Army Painter varnish reacted badly to the Army Painter dip. The dip coat started to bubble up and detach from the model but only in certain places. Man, was I pissed off!
I wasn't sure what to do at first but I took them back inside & tried to clean things up. I brushed some red on the affected areas & then a wash of devlan mud to try and blend things in, it improved things a little. I'm not going to use these a lot and i don't want to strip them & start again so I'm going to have to put up with it. Although it will bug me every time I look at them. I did try to dry brush some gun metal on the bubbled up areas of one model to see if I could make it look like exposed metal/battle damage. It worked after a fashion but I wasn't that happy with it so left the others as they were.
Then I was taking some pictures of them for this blog, but I couldn't get the exposure right & auto focus started to play up on my camera. So I spent about an hour trying to take 4 pictures! Anyway they're done now but I'm not happy with them either.
All I'm left wondering is what else can go wrong today.

The Juggernaut

The Destroyer

Man-o-War Shocktroopers



  1. Good recovery, they look fine to me. Perfection is overrated!

    Silly question, but have you tried a spray varnish? Whenever I wash models I'm highly reluctant to brush over it with varnish. I've ruined plenty of paint jobs in my tme with brush on varnish. Nowadays I usually give my figures a coat of spray satin varnish to seal them and then spray with dullcoat (testors) to bring down the shine.

  2. Yeah they don't look too bad in the photos but you can just make it out on the infantry shoulder pads on the right. They're much worse in RL.
    I always use spray matt varnish & never had a problem before. I think there's something wrong with the new tin of Army Painter 'Strong' shade dip I've just got. Ahh well.

  3. Unlucky mate, perhaps it was the releasing agent used in resin moulds.

  4. Nah, I know what it was now, I should never have built my new wargames room over an old indian burial ground.


You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...