Sunday 22 September 2013

I'm an idiot

I'm an idiot with no self-control (this will come as no surprise to regular readers). So what have I done this time? Well, I was browsing some blogs and came across some great Dust Warfare batreps. I've been interested in Dust for some time but I've always managed to resist buying into the game. Although Dust Warfare seems to have some nice mechanics I was a bit worried that it was like 40K in WW2, something that doesn't appeal. Also no one else seems to play it locally.


But, like the idiot I am, I went to eBay to have a look at prices for the Dust Tactics core set. Buying this set is supposed to be the best way into the game as regards value for money. As usual there were a few sets for sale in the £55-£60 range, not anything to tempt me. But there was a set up for auction at £30 so I put a bid in, just in case, but not expecting to win at that price. Then I noticed another 'Buy it Now' set for £45 inc p&p. This was close to tempting me pricewise so I added it to my watch list. Again expecting someone else to buy it before I made my mind up to pull the trigger on it. For some reason I scrolled down to have a look at the description and I noticed it also included an Assault Rangers "BBQ Squad" which costs about £12 normally so about £70 of stuff for £45. At this point my 'it's a bargain, you'd be mad not to buy it' gene kicked in and I clicked 'buy it now'. In my defence it was 1.30am so I was tired and not in full possession of my faculties.

So now I have a Dust Tactics revised Core Set (with extras) winging it's way to me and, if no one tops my bid, possibly a second one! What's worse is that I'll still have to fork out for a set of Dust Warfare rules to be able to play, although I'll still be able to play it as a board game.

13 comments:

  1. You know Ferb, you can get software to put a 'child lock' on your computer to avoid this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Good one. :-)

      Hopefully it will wind up being one of your best purchases...

      Peter

      Delete
    2. I hope so too!

      @Dave, NOW you tell me!

      Delete
  2. BTW, looking forward to a review, AAR and some home grown solo rules from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I stopped going to evilbay unless I have already committed to buy.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should have a government warning on the site like for tobacco.

      Delete
  4. Hello! Glad you liked the battle reports. :)

    As someone who stopped playing 40k more than 10 years ago and have no desire to go back I can assure you that Dust Warfare plays very differently from that game. It's a lot quicker and actually involves tactics and strategy during play, and not simply when putting your army list together.

    The basic dice resolution mechanics aren't all that innovative, but the addition of suppression and reaction fire makes all the difference! I hope you'll enjoy the game.

    Also, nice corner of the webb you have here. I see we follow a lot of the same blogs. Considers yourself one follower richer. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must admit I am somewhat tempted by this too - I love the look of the walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look nice on the table. Plus I'm thinking of trying to use them for a Weird WW2 version of Chain of Command.

      Delete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...