Sunday 22 July 2012

Battlefront's New Plastic Pz IV's

Battlefront have announced the arrival of the first of their new plastic models the Pz IV ausf J platoon box set.




The set includes the parts to make five Panzer IV J Medium tanks. It comprises ten plastic part sprues, two Stowage sprues, two Tank Commander sprues, five sets of metal Schürzen, ten Rare-earth magnets & one Decal sheet. That's just about everything you could want in a box set, no word yet on the price so I'll be interested to see how it stacks up against the Plastic Soldier Company offerings.

Here's a couple of shots of the contents.




I like the idea of the one piece track sections and the detail looks fine, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the rest of the sprues. For me the key thing will be price. If I can buy a set like this for about £20 inc discount I can see me buying them, if they're £25 or more I think I'll stick with PSC as I'm not that bothered about the decals and magnets.

11 comments:

  1. Just ti check you know it's not a complete plastic model, the hull and turret is still resin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up! Yes I agree with you, the key will definitely be the price.

    Now that FoW stuff is being made in Malaysia, there is no excuse for them to be any more than £25 even with the resin components. Any more than that and I think most people will just stick with PSC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PSC stuff is hard to beat for value.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to get the BF Panver Iv J's even if they are over £30 as I think they will be. Having painted a lot of PSC Shermans and other British BF models the BF models look so much nicer painted up. Thats important to me so I've decided to not buy any more PSC models.

      Delete
    3. With my eyesight that's not a factor for me. Even if it was I think I would still rather have 10 PSC models on the table than 5 BF. But each to their own.

      Delete
    4. And thats fair enough. It all depends on what you want from the models.

      Delete
  3. Price is certainly a factor for me, so I could well stay with PSC for 'armour', though I still prefer the BF infantry - as they're chunky 'heroic' scale which makes painting easier..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus you don't have to assemble fiddly litle bits & pieces like you do with PSC's infantry

      Delete
  4. to be honest I think PSC is not only just good value for money, but is also a quality product, and because they are plastic they are easily convertible, so if these are as expensive as I know they will be, I will just buy PSC, I pretty sure you can make a J out of their box, but if you can't then its only a matter of changing the hatch, and exhausts, and leaving the turret rotation motor off, very easy conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the plastic kits do lend themselves to easy conversion.

      Delete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...