Monday 26 August 2013

My 500 pt Germans for Bolt Action

I've finished painting up my 1/72 Germans for Bolt Action (BA) so I thought I'd post a few photos and have a look at my army list.


I decided to make the force a late war Heer Veteran Grenadier Infantry unit. The main reason was that I wanted to try out assault rifles because they look cool. Here is the list I've chosen.

1 x 2nd Lt + 1 Rifleman, (Regular) 60 pts
1st Squad, (Veteran) NCO + 7 men (1 SMG, 7 Assault Rifles) 142 pts
2nd Squad, (Veteran) NCO + 7 men (1 SMG, 2 LMG, 5 Rifles) 147 pts
1 x MMG, (Regular) 50 pts
1 x Medium Mortar, (Regular) 50 pts
1 x Sniper Team, (Regular) 50 pts

Total 499pts

I went veteran as I think it's the best option for Germans. Their morale is better and they're harder to hit. I see the 1st squad as getting stuck in, although they have the firepower to defend if necessary. The 2nd squad with it's two LMGs will be used to hold objectives and provide covering fire for the 1st squad. I added a rifleman to the officer so a lucky hit doesn't take him out of the game. I would have preferred a 1st LT but just didn't have the points.

Support comes from the MMG and medium mortar, although I'm not convinced they'll be particularly effective. I'll see how they go and may look to replace them with some cheap armour or a half track. Rounding out the force is the sniper team which I'll use to pick off NCO's or just add pins.

The figures are all Valiant Miniatures 1/72 figures which cost me £8.24 for a box of 68 figures. So this 500pt force only cost me £3.15. You've got to love 1/72 figures.

I have enough spares left to go to 1000pts but I'll probably add some armour and/or transport first. I also want to add enough figures to give me a force I can use for Chain of Command. Here's some other photos of the finished figures.

1st Squad with Assault Rifles

Tripod mounted MG42

80mm mortar

2nd Squad with 2 LMGs

10 comments:

  1. No bad at all! :)

    As Andrew says, the basing looks good, and for a touch over £3 you'll be able to play a decent game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the more I use 1/72 the more I like it.

      Delete
  2. Very very nice work. I have 20 odd of these fig's undercoated and ready to go as soon as I get round to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, good to see it's not just me who likes 1/72 :-)

      Delete
  3. They look great, are valiant miniatures "hard" plastic? Or the stuff that airfix etc are made from?.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes they are hard plastic. Almost as hard as warlords plastic. But they are a large 1/72 so don't mix well with other ranges.

      Delete
  4. They look great. M Mortars are good at what they do, dealing with dug in hard points. MMG may disappoint. 2 Vet squads with assault rifles will be monsters, but keep them safe, you don't have much in the way of numbers here.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah I thought about going regular with smaller squads to get more dice and pinning opportunities but I didn't think it was worth it.

      Delete
  5. Nice job. i have a british and american force with valiant and use armourfast for vehicles. i play bolt action, flames of war and aint been shot mum all with 1/72. SHQ is a great site for vehicles

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll check out SHQ as armour will be my next purchase.

      Delete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...