Tuesday 24 July 2012

28mm Saxons

In one of my many manic phases I bought a load of 28mm plastic Vikings, Saxons and Normans to use for Impetus and Saga. Normally I like to fight ahistorical battles, Egyptians vs HYW etc. but most people I play prefer match ups. So my current plan is to build Saxon and Norman armies for Impetus to use as a historical pairing.

As I'm not really a painter I always look to do things as simply as possible. I started with some foot and sprayed them with Army Painter's Plate Mail primer. Next I painted anything that wasn't mail or metal in an appropriate colour. They were then finished off with a coat of Army Painter Dark Tone dip.


I was pleased with how they came out. They were fairly quick to paint and the dip picked out the detail nicely. The shields were a pain though. I did these separately and used transfers for the shield designs. I had to paint some of the shield fronts white to give them a decent background colour for the decals. I've always found white to be a difficult colour to paint and I never get a smooth finish. But I've bought one of the new white GW Base paints now so I'll give that a try as they claim it can cover black in one coat.


Although these are fairly easy to paint I haven't played ancients in months so they are now low on my list of painting priorities.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done - the shields came out great
    Which transfers did you use?
    Miles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the transfers are from Veni Vidi Vici.

      Delete
  2. Nice job they have come out well.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...