Friday 13 July 2012

Operation Sea Lion: Letters from Cletus 10

WWPD's Operation Sea Lion campaign is coming to an end on Sunday and I plan to do a series of three 'Letters from Cletus' over the next three days to round things off. What follows is the first letter of the trilogy.

Dear Ma & Pa,

I got some news I hope you'll be real happy about, Mary and I just got married! I know this seems real quick as I've only known her a few weeks but I'm sure she's the one. But I'm getting ahead of myself so I reckon I better explain what's happened.

We got word a few days ago that we were being moved out to aid in the defence of London. Seems the Generals think that a big push is coming real soon from the Nazi's. Word is that the Royal Navy and the flyboys been hitting the Nazi supply ships in the Channel real hard and that iff'n the Nazi's don't take London real soon their attack is going fail on account of them running out of stuff. 

I managed to ring Mary at the hospital to tell her we was moving out and I might not be able to see her for a while as we was likely going to be in combat. Then out of the blue she says she thinks we should get married! Well you coulda knocked me down with a feather. I asked her if she was sure and she said she was. Then she said that she loved me and she knew I loved her and what with the war and the chance that either of us could get killed she thought it was silly to not get married while we could and risk losing everything we had together. So I said yes I'd love to marry her and she started crying and laughing at the same time and I felt so happy like I was fit to burst.

We couldn't have got it done without the Prof's help though. When I told him Mary and me was getting married I expected him to say that it wasn't a good idea or that we was rushing things. But he said it was the smartest thing I'd ever done and that Mary was just the girl to sort me out. I asked him to be my Best Man and he said he'd be honoured to stand at my side. Apparently you have to get your C.O.'s permission to get married and you've got all these forms to fill out. But the Prof pulled a few strings and got everything sorted out real quick. I guess Russkies ain't that fond of regulations neither.

Even though we was getting ready to pull out the Russkies did everything they could to help sort out the wedding. They got a big tent set up where we could hold the service and then use it for the reception. They even sorted out some decorations and food. But if you ask me I reckon the Russkies was more interested in meeting the nurses Mary had invited to the wedding than helping me get hitched.

The big day arrived and I was more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Than I saw Mary walking down the aisle towards me looking like an angel in this beautiful wedding dress. The service was a bit of a blur but I remembered all the words and didn't make a fool of myself for once. She looked so beautiful, I couldn't stop smiling all the way through the ceremony I was so happy. Then the Chaplain said 'I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride'. I was just about to kiss her when all hell broke loose with the officers running in and shouting that the timetable had changed and we were moving out right now and to load our gear into the trucks. Mary just looked at me and gave a sad little smile and said 'go on husband, get out of here'. I grabbed her and gave her a quick kiss than ran to grab my gear and get onto the truck. I just made it as the truck was pulling out. I looked back and I just caught a glimpse of her waving goodbye I hope it's not the last time I see her.

The trucks took us to the train station were boarded a train for London, not the honeymoon I'd hoped for. That's where I'm writing this letter to you from. I have to finish now as the Sergeant's coming round to collect our letters. 

Please add Mary to your prayers. Your loving son,
Cletus.

Tomorrow's letter will be about Cletus' role in the Battle for London. As for Sunday's letter you'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...