Tuesday 7 August 2012

Games I'd Forgotten: Cosmic Encounter

I was reading through a few blog posts yesterday when I came across a mention of a board game called Cosmic Encounter. It rang a bell with me so I Googled it and sure enough I found this picture which brought it all back to me.


As the name suggests players represent alien races that are seeking to spread themselves onto five foreign worlds. To accomplish this, they make challenges against other players and enlist the aid of interested parties. But alien powers, which are unique to each race, give players ways to bend or outright break some of the rules in the game. There's another game of the same name available now from Fantasy Flight Games which is a more modern remake of the original. 

Some of the games different races

A game in progress

I remember playing this lots back in the late 70's it was great fun but simple to play with lots of opportunities for backstabbing. Sadly yet another game I wish I'd kept now. I may look at buying the new version but it's rare that I get a chance to play a board game with three or four others. So I'm not sure I want to invest £40+ on a game i may hardly get a chance to play.

4 comments:

  1. Although copies from the original publisher (Eon Products) are quite rare (I have three), this game is currently available (with expansions) from Fantasy Flight games. Bill and Peter have been more than willing to sell the production rights when somebody has been interested. I run two game auctions a year at my local conventions and very rarely does this game ever show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been numerous edition of the game, by different publishers, over that last 30 years or so. I have the West End Games/ Games Workshop version from the mid 1980s.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...