Tuesday 3 April 2012

A Paean to Painted Figures

After last week's embarrassing revelation of my wargaming addiction. I have another guilty secret to admit.

Sometimes I like to set up my wargames table and lay out my figures just to look at them. Seeing them arrayed in all their finery, flags flying and bayonets gleaming just gives me a warm feeling inside. The satisfaction I get from seeing the fruits of my painting endeavours in their natural environment makes the time, effort and not inconsiderable expense worthwhile. It's a bit like the feeling you get when you buy a new car and you have to keep going to the window to have a look at it.

Photo by Duncan MacFarlane of Wargames Illustrated magazine


I can understand those people who play with unpainted figures, I really can. But they don't know what they're missing. The colour and spectacle of wargaming adds so much to the hobby. They don't have to be brilliantly painted as, lets face it, from three feet away you can't make out much detail anyway. It's the massed ranks of figures fighting their little lead hearts out for you because you cared enough to paint them that makes it all worthwhile. As someone once said 'why should they fight well for you if you can't be bothered to paint them.' After all you didn't paint your dice and look how badly they treat you!

So please try and make the effort and get some paint on that mountain of lead. Trust me the satisfaction you'll get once they're based up and ready to go is more than enough to keep you going until the lead mountain is no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...